This easy-to-prepare breakfast casserole is fun and delicious. Serve your creation with fresh fruit and English muffins or bagels. It’s great for lunch or dinner too!
You will need:
- 12 oz frozen hash browns
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 oz reduced-fat ham or Canadian bacon
- 2 large eggs
- 4 egg whites
- 2 Tbsp non-fat milk
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Spray the inside of an 8-by-8-inch baking dish with non-stick oil.
3. Place frozen potatoes in the bottom of the baking dish. Break up any large chunks.
4. Cut the meat into small chunks. Sprinkle the meat and cheese over the potatoes.
5. Put eggs, egg whites and milk into a small bowl. Whip lightly with a fork and pour over the potato mixture. Sprinkle the casserole with pepper.
6. Place the uncovered casserole in the oven and bake for 40 minutes. Be careful removing the hot casserole from the oven.
Source: U.S. Department of Agriculture; California Nutrition Network for Healthy, Active Families